Friday, July 29, 2011

I am not a dog person



I grew up with cats. I prefer cats. I enjoy the purring, the independence, the ease of potty training, the sleekness, and their association with knitters (there are so many cat avatars on Ravelry).

After going through several aquatic pets, our family was ready for mammals. Since doggies were undesired (by me) and my youngest has feline allergies, we went with hamsters. But after two unexpected hamster deaths, my immediate family began campaigning in ernest for a canine ("they live longer"). After much pleading, prayer, and hard core negotiations, we agreed with the following requirements:

the dog has to be:
- at least 12 months old
- potty trained
- under 20 pounds
- a non-sheddier (i.e. hypo allergenic hair)
- cared for by everyone (this obviously will last for two weeks and then mom picks up the slack)

After a visit to Rocket Dog Rescue adoption event, we ended up with Bennett (named after Jane Austen's heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, in Pride and Prejudice), which won over Frodo (my oldest is a Lord of the Rings junkie) and Buster (in honor of the 2011 Rookie of the Year, Buster Posey -- hope you are doing well in rehab).

Here are the deets on Bennett; he is:
- 6 months old
- NOT potty trained (we are now very handy with vinegar and baking soda)
- 24 pounds and counting
- a unrepentant shedder (what to do with my mostly black wardrobe?)

But Bennett IS sweet, lovable, and loyal....so he's staying and I'm becoming a dog person.

4 comments:

AtPlayWithFiber said...

Congrats on Bennett!! We have both a cat & dog. No more pets which is good since I just started working at the Vet Office. :)

Mama Bear said...

Good for you - and good for Bennett, too. Congratulations on the new member of your family.

MOMENTS Designs said...

Once you have experienced the unconditional love of a dog...you'll wonder how you lived without one.!!!
The hard part is surviving the first year...after that you'll be rewarded with an animal that loos at you like your the greatest person in the world!!
Hang in there !! Carry lots of treats on your pocket!! :-)
Hugs,
Liz
Mom of a big shedding yellow lab that thinks I'm the cats meow !!